Pages: (3) 1 2 3  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

Rife with Changes
Stanton
 Posted: Jan 23 2017, 08:11 AM
Mods
by: Brock
There won't be any pain. Only an eternity together. Come back to me.

Where are the shadows?

I know they're awake.

Stanton had to wonder if the librarians who set his series out on display knew they had made a perfect choice. It was hard to imagine that they were entirely unfamiliar with it, though. They had put out the first six books, many of which featured important changes. He knew that Book 2 and Book 5 (the only one starring him, even if it was a Book 5 version of himself) contained surprising changes, and surely the librarian had known that. Why else put out six of the books except to take up space on the display? Had they wanted to put out Book 5 but thought it was weird without Books 1-4 first?

In the end, the questions weren't in need of answers. Stanton was merely curious. Nothing more.

That day, he had to check in on the first half of his series. Being split like they were was difficult in terms of protection. They had plenty of characters from their respective books to form a solid defense if they were attacked, but it was always easier when all thirteen books were together. At least the half of their series that remained on the shelf also had the Sons and Sisters there for aid.

Stanton's primary point of interest in checking on their displayed counterparts was to see if the Serenas were alright. They had their own Stantons there to protect them, but he couldn't help himself. He had loved her through each book's plot, so seeing each version of her brought back memories. She was his Serena no matter what, and he knew the other Stantons felt the same way about his Serena.

Everything appeared normal as Stanton materialized onto their display shelf. The librarian had set their series together in one of the little side shelves. On the one hand, that gave them more protection, as they were a bit more tucked away; but, on the other hand, they had fewer places to run in case of attack. That was the other reason Stanton was there. At least for a short while, he would be extra defense if they needed it.

for Anyone

2017.01.23| Quote: DOM #13, pg. 5

&
PM
^
The Headless Horseman
 Posted: Jan 24 2017, 06:31 AM
None
by: Luna
Prepare yourselves the bells have tolled, shelter your weak, your young and your old. Each of you shall pay the final sum, cry for mercy, the reckoning has come.

The Headless Horseman wasn't one for displays. However, there are some that he found intriguing. This display was no different and the creepy spook wanted to check it out. The Horseman flew lazily around the display, watching the characters mill about. He wasn't worried about how they would react to him.
PM
^
Stanton
 Posted: Jan 24 2017, 01:14 PM
Mods

Where are the shadows?

I know they're awake.

Stanton checked in with the other earlier versions of the Daughters characters. The previous day had been tense, one of the Vanessas informed him, but Stanton knew as much from one of the Jimenas who had checked in on the displayed books yesterday. Today, one of the Serenas said, wasn't too bad. That made sense, considering the previous day had been a Sunday, so the library was closed. The most mischief happened at night and on closed days. Today there were still patrons about, so little would be done until the patrons all left. That wouldn't be too much longer.

"I'll stick around for a while," Stanton told them, though they already knew he would.

His gaze drifted over to the Serenas, and his eyes softened. If anyone came after them, he would protect them with his (immortal) life. Serena could defend herself well enough, but Stanton saw no need for her to do so if he was there, willing to protect her. Besides, her life was finite, in the sense that she, like other mortal characters, wouldn't regenerate for hours. It wasn't an issue at midnight, but if they were attacked at 6AM and her book was picked up at 10AM...

for the Horseman

&
PM
^
The Headless Horseman
 Posted: Jan 25 2017, 06:24 AM
None
Prepare yourselves the bells have tolled, shelter your weak, your young and your old. Each of you shall pay the final sum, cry for mercy, the reckoning has come.

The Headless Horseman flew a little closer to the display to get a better look at characters in it. So far, he had gone unnoticed. The dark spirit wasn't worried if they did freak out, though. The Horseman was already dead, so he had nothing to fear from death. He also was immune to all mortal attacks.
PM
^
Stanton
 Posted: Jan 26 2017, 12:44 PM
Mods

Where are the shadows?

I know they're awake.

Before long, a figure appeared near their shelf. Stanton stood quietly and watched, on alert. However, the figure continued circling and left them be. As he passed, Stanton recognized him as his occasional Buddy in Torment, the Headless Horseman. Or he was one of the Horsemen, at least. How many copies of his book were there, again? Stanton would have to check one day.

Stanton hoped that this Horseman was the same one he had helped spook people with. With luck, he would leave Stanton and his series alone. He wouldn't go so far as to expect the Horseman to keep others away from them. They weren't friends, after all. But he would hope that the Horseman would choose other displayed books to bother.

for the Horseman

&
PM
^
The Headless Horseman
 Posted: Jan 27 2017, 08:11 AM
None

The Headless Horseman continued to watch the characters in the display until he spotted a familiar face. It was his shadowy ally, or another version of them. The creepy spook lifted his jack-o-lantern off his shoulders in a salute. The Horseman didn't care if was his ally or not. He just enjoyed having a scaring partner.
PM
^
Stanton
 Posted: Feb 1 2017, 08:27 AM
Mods

Where are the shadows?

I know they're awake.

When the Horseman flew by and "saluted" with a tip of his head, Stanton nodded back. That must mean he was the same Horseman that Stanton had scared people with. That, or all the Horsemen were as friendly in greeting characters of a darker nature.

Stanton couldn't miss the look one of the Serena's gave him. Narrowed eyebrows, a suspicious gaze that bordered on a glare. He turned a calm grin towards her and started to explain when Zahi approached. The way the other man interacted with this Serena boiled Stanton's blood. He knew Zahi had gotten her to walk out of the book sometime well after that version of Stanton had talked to her. Otherwise, he wouldn't feel such anger from her.

Serena walked off with Zahi, and Stanton couldn't stop it. There was no point anyway. He wished that plot had never happened, but now those versions of them were always reliving it--and, by extension, so was he. Depending on what page Serena had left the book from, he could receive smiles or he could receive glares.

Agitated, Stanton walked closer to the edge of the shelf, leaned against a wall, and stared out at the lobby. For Serena's sake(s), he hoped the night went peacefully. For his own sake... Well, he was itching for a fight now. Preferably with a certain Follower.

for the Horseman

&
PM
^
The Headless Horseman
 Posted: Feb 2 2017, 05:48 AM
None

The Headless Horseman grinned as the other male nodded at him. He was glad the man acknowledged him. However, the sinister spook noticed some tension between the stranger and another character. The Horseman had a feeling this had to do with the woman that was with the other character. He glanced at the pair before looking at the shadowy guy again.
PM
^
Stanton
 Posted: Feb 5 2017, 01:57 PM
Mods

Where are the shadows?

I know they're awake.

Stanton caught the Horseman's eye and returned a hard stare--not for anything the Horseman had done but because Zahi was a raw nerve to this day. Stanton knew how Zahi's book ended, and he knew how his own book ended. Even so, seeing Serena with another... receiving her disdain... It nurtured Stanton's darkness.

Looking at the Horseman gave Stanton an idea. He couldn't remember from their last interaction if telepathy worked with him or not, but since the Horseman seemed capable of his own thoughts and was a supernatural creature, Stanton figured he had a good chance of getting through to him. So, without moving a muscle to hint at his intentions, Stanton's mind slipped into the Horseman's, and he spoke.

"I have a deal for you, if you're interested.

Stanton paused only a moment for an answer, be it a nod or a mental confirmation that, at the very least, the Terror was interested in hearing his proposal.

"The man behind me. I want him tormented. If you promise to keep your attentions solely on him, I won't stand in your way. I'll tell the other versions of me to hold off as well, though we may need to pretend to make an effort sometimes."

It was risky. The Stantons would have to block their minds from the Serenas, but they had far more practice than she did, and the approaching new moon gave their side more power and hers less.

"You would be facing six books' worth of goddesses, though--each with their own power and skill level. I can't look to be stopping them from defending our series. So if you would rather pass, I'll take no offense."

for the Horseman

2017.01.23 | Quote: DOM #13, pg. 5

&
PM
^
The Headless Horseman
 Posted: Feb 6 2017, 04:42 AM
None

The Headless Horseman was somewhat familiar with his shadowy ally's telepathic ability, but was still mildly surprised by it. "Oh?" Although he did not have telepathic abilities, he thought back his response. "I can try, although I hope he's made of stronger stuff than my previous target." The creepy spook looked thoughtful at the mention of the goddesses. "It depends on how they will attack me. If they use light or holy magic, then we may have a problem."
PM
^
Stanton
 Posted: Feb 8 2017, 12:07 PM
Mods

Where are the shadows?

I know they're awake.

"In terms of fortitude and abilities, he is similar to myself, and so you should have more of a challenge breaking him." As much as Stanton hated to say it, he had to add one important note. "As he is a crucial part of my series, however, I ask that he remain able to function enough to complete his part of the story. If that removes your desire to target him, I understand."

Stanton then turned his attention towards thoughts of the girls. Did they use light or holy magic? It hadn't occurred to him to think of their abilities in those ways, so he wasn't sure how to answer.

"I don't know how to classify their abilities. Not with those terms. They are fully titled 'Daughters of the Moon'. However, their powers are limited to one or two each and do not center around light or holiness. One becomes invisible. One receives premonitions. One time-travels, and one reads minds. Their skills are not as honed in these books as in later ones, so I doubt you would receive much trouble from them."

On the one hand, Stanton didn't like sharing such information with a Terror. On the other hand, he hated his fellow Follower with such intensity that the benefit outweighed the risk. The Horseman was smart--or so Stanton believed. With a library full of characters to torment, why bother doing great harm to an ally's series?

for the Horseman

&

PM
^
The Headless Horseman
 Posted: Feb 9 2017, 04:55 AM
None

"Excellent, that will make it much more interesting." The Headless Horseman chuckled at the shadowy man's following remark. "If he is as indomitable as you say, I can't see that being a problem. You say he is similar to yourself and I can't picture you as a gibbering mess like my last target." He nodded in acknowledgment of the stranger's words. "It would seem so." The creepy spook then proceeded to turn away from his ally and head towards his new target.
PM
^
Stanton
 Posted: Feb 9 2017, 04:12 PM
Mods

Where are the shadows?

I know they're awake.

Stanton directed his thoughts towards the other versions of himself. He would also share them with the Daughters, who hated this guy as much as Stanton did; but, given that he didn't have time to figure out who was from what book, and that half them probably wouldn't trust him anyway, Stanton stuck to the other Stantons' minds.

The stand-down message communicated, the other Stantons pretended not to notice the Horseman approach. As he was the designated sentry, Stanton couldn't pretend not to notice, so he took another route. He pretended that he realized who the Horseman's target was. Seeing that that version of Serena was with the man, Stanton somewhat faked protective mode. Turning to shadow, he swooped in, reappeared at her side, and turned her to shadow with him just before the Horseman reached his target.

Stanton materialized a short distance away, and Serena tore her arm out of his grip. She turned fury and mistrust towards him. He couldn't blame her. This wasn't who she really was. He could only blame the other Follower. Stanton would have to work through her mind quickly to undo all the damage the other man had done once again. Only then would she realize what was going on, and then, hopefully, all the Daughters would stand down.

for the Horseman

&

PM
^
The Headless Horseman
 Posted: Feb 10 2017, 05:05 AM
None

The Headless Horseman was glad his shadowy ally whisked the girl out of the way. Now he didn't have to worry about having to get between her and the man he was targeting. The sinister spectre flew up behind his new target. As the Horseman got close, his steed thrust his head forwards and proceeded to poke the guy in the back of their head. His rider sat quietly and waited for a response.
PM
^

Topic Options
Pages: (3) 1 2 3 
Add Reply
New Poll

Affiliates
Resource Sites, Listings, & Non-RPs

RPG-D
Shadowplay
RPG Initiative Distant Fantasies
Anthology