Add Reply
New Poll

Aranea Serket, 19 | CREATURES | HOMESTUCK
Aranea Serket
 Posted: May 26 2017, 01:32 AM
CREATURES
by: CITRON
As an ancient and learned scholar, I'm versed in a wide range of unusual phenomena.

Aranea Serket

Basics

Character

Aranea Serket
Character Age

Nineteen
Book

Homestuck
Computer #8
Author

Andrew Hussie
Here Since

Group

Sketches
Face Claim

Aranea Serket, [s]Game Over (End of Act 6, Act 6, Act 3)
Player

Played by Citron in GMT - 4.

Biography

user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image
the process of healing first involves sifting through what it isn't, which happens to 8e everything your troubled mind has to offer.

Before one can understand Aranea and her circumstances, one must first understand the society from which she comes, her home-planet, as well as her universe. Created by Mister Andrew Hussie in what is presumed to be the Internet's Ulysses, Homestuck is over, but its' following is immense. It is still producing new readers and seems to be a timeless coming-of-age adventure about aliens, relationships, and ultimately, four kids finding themselves through an odd adventure. Whenever the curious reader pulls up an Internet search engine intending to know the plotline of Homestuck, they are first presented with the stories of four thirteen year olds, John Egbert, Rose Lalonde, Jade Harley, Dave Strider, and the infamous game SBURB. Through playing SBURB, the server player is able to manipulate the client's environment through the usage of Grist. Unbeknownst to the four teenagers, their playing of this game ends their universe. Luckily enough, the players escape by entering the Medium and finding themselves in a unique land a kin to whom they are. That is where the true story begins, as Egbert, Lalonde, Harley, and Strider are aided by aliens who call themselves the Trolls, a horned, gray, species from the planet Alternia, that Aranea belongs to. This is not Aranea's story, but may explain her pre-scratch origins.

Throughout the Homestuck universe, every Troll is hatched and depending upon their blood colour, raised by a Lusus. Hatched on Beforus, a planet, similar to Alternia, but more forgiving, she was lucky to be born into a higher caste, a blue-blood in all respects, Cerulean, therefore attracting the attention of a spider Lusus. The Lusus raised her to be somewhat of an intellectual. Aranea was an expert on Beforan history, on Alternian history even. Any time she had the opportunity, she retrieved a book to add to her extensive collection. As she grew, her friends looked towards her for knowledge, often seeking her help in times of crisis, whenever they required advice. Unfortunately, her Lusus died whenever she was around 6 sweeps old. This forced her to live on her own, even whenever it came to playing a game, SGRUB.

Her title was the Sylph of Light. As an intellectual, it was her duty to make information known in the game, as well as aiding others in their intellectual pursuits, and making light of characters deemed unimportant. [SEE SPOILER] That is where the reader currently is.

Aranea always looks forward to performing her role in Homestuck, but enjoys her role in the library more. While she does not particularly like to get involved in the affairs of the various gangs, she understands it is for survival. In her arrival, she was wholly confused about the world around her, yet excitable. She enjoyed the sights, the sounds, the scent of old books. Yet, she was also terrified, understanding that her friends could not help her. She was alone. Aranea's goals were to make friends and hopefully survive. Due to her horns and her unfortunate gray appearance, she is pushed off as being a creature and seems to be at the bottom of a social ladder among the sketches. This is strange to her, being that she has always been at the top of a social caste, being a blue-blood. As an intellectual, she hopes to use her knowledge to the best of her abilities, aiding in the sketches, and hopes to climb up the ladder once more, to prove that even creatures are important.

Relationships

Friends

Aranea is an incredibly helpful and kind individual, much unlike her ancestor, Vriska. However, she isn't the best friend, even if she tries to be. Unfortunately, she is a very educated Troll and wishes to show this through her speech, often coming across as pretentious. Aranea speaks at a million miles an hour, never pausing to listen to her conversational partner or friend. She is a master manipulator, both with her advantage, and her nature. So, naturally, friendships are difficult for the Beforan Troll. She will ultimately jump in and try to save someone, even if they do not require assistance or long to be helped. She will also use manipulation tactics if not given her way. Aranea is too smart for her own good. This, paired with her manipulative nature means that she is a difficult friend, but she will try to be kind and helpful nonetheless.

Family

Aranea does not have much of a family history. In Trollian society (both Beforan and Alternian) a caste system presents itself. Whenever a Troll is hatched, their scent attracts a Lusus, of whom will take care of the young Troll into adulthood, perhaps longer. Aranea was raised by a spider Lusus, presumably female given it's motherly nature. However, she isn't quick to discuss her Lusus with others as spider mom died in Aranea's canon, causing much turmoil and harm to the nineteen year old, who still misses her mom.

Romance

Romance is of little importance to Aranea and she seems to be quite cynical about the topic. As a Beforan Troll, she amounts romance to red relationships, or a Matespritship. Unfortunately, on Beforus, she pursued such a relationship through Porrim Maryam. However, the relationship quickly ended over a simple argument. Aranea was attached and becomes visibly upset if she thinks of Porrim or their relationship. Thus, she does not believe in relationships. If she does fall head-over-heels in love with someone else, Aranea will probably deny her feelings and push them aside, ultimately pushing them off as a fling, as she has done with Porrim.

Enemies

Anyone can become an enemy to Aranea. It isn't that difficult. If she does not trust someone, or they hurt her, she automatically puts them on this list. She does not like being wronged, or seeing her friends wronged. A unique relationship presented in Beforan and Alternian Troll societies is that of a Kismesissitude. Aranea is much like her ancestor in a sense that she enjoys healthy competition and rivalries. A Kismesissitude can be boiled down to what it is at it's core, forgive the language, hate-fucking. It deals with mutual hate and mutual sexual attraction. It is caliginous in nature and considered a black romance. Aranea isn't much for sex, never being attracted to such manners, but she does enjoy complicated rivalries and will jump at the opportunity of competition or proving herself.

Other

Relationships are incredibly important to Aranea as a member of Beforan society. Beforan and Alternian Trolls have a very distinctive set of relationship styles. The red relationship is purely romantic and can be described above under the romance category. One relationship in particular, Aranea will seek out, even if other literary figures do not know how the relationship works. This quadrant entitled a Moirallegiance is distinctively pale. It is the Troll equivalent of a queerplatonic relationship. Whenever one Troll is enamored with someone platonically and sees themselves living their life with said individual, they pursue them and flirt in a pale manner. If there is chemistry, the lucky Troll will soon have a Moirail. Aranea has experienced pale feelings for one of her only friends, Meenah, though the feelings were not reciprocated. So, naturally, she longs for this very important relationship and will seek it out in anyone who gives her attentions.

There is also the ashen quadrant, the oddest of them all in Troll society. Next to having a Moirail, this interests Aranea the most. Being an Auspistice means being a facilitator and aiding in the relationships of others. She is an incredibly helpful individual and does not like to see violence whenever it is not necessary, such is the case of auspicious, ashen, relationship. She will intervene whenever given the chance, in order to prevent violence, or to prevent something she does not enjoy from happening as she is a master manipulator.

Searching for...

I am searching for no one in particular! I love pan-fandom sites because they allow you the opportunity to interact with others' from a different universe than the one your character comes from, so I hope to thread with others, not someone of Aranea's universe!

Audition

'We're all the same and love is blind. The sun is gone before it shines. And I said, if the answer's no, can I change your mind?' An alternative piece from a band, detailing themselves to be Killers, came to her mind. The Cerulean blood believed it was a band and song enjoyed by one of her human counterparts - Roxy - one of Jake's friends. It made her think of her former matesprit, Porrim and seemed to depress her to no end. 'That is no way to begin today, Aranea. Change the subject. Do not ruin your day considering a failed relationship and what might of been.' Aranea shook it off, letting out an exasperated sigh as she retreated from the confines of Stonewood's eighth computer. Scrunching her nose, the nineteen year old Serket stretched, letting out a slight yawn. It was a warm Sunday afternoon, bits of light streaking into the library through a window pane. Natural light was of course difficult, given the fact that Stonewood was tucked away in one of Tennessee's dense forests. She didn't care; Aranea enjoyed what sunlight she could get. Earth's rays of light weren't harmful to her, unlike Beforus, of which could harm her with too much exposure.

It seemed to be early, as though her fellow literary creations weren't yet awake. Aranea Serket could actually get things done, explore for once. A chuckle emitted from her mouth as she hopped downwards from a desk chair, admiring the views which presented themselves. This was honestly her dream. For all she knew, Hussie had created her with a penchant for literature, for writing, anything that required her to think and draw opinions. Although tensions were high, Aranea could wonder the various shelves, wondering what mysteries they held. It was unfortunate that so many chose to fight. Her reasons were different. She merely wanted to belong somewhere, but it was awkward for her. Others regarded her as being fake. It was odd to think of, but the post-scratch Serket assumed that Andrew Hussie had put just as much thought into his webcomics, into his content, than say a classic author. He worked hard to ensure that her content was ship-shape, an escapist with a penchant for science-fiction and coming-of-age tales' dream. Although Homestuck was over, it's following was still as large as ever. Aranea Serket wasn't going anywhere. In fact, she presumed her reader still had so much story left.

Currently, it was the end of a session for her. The Troll had just saved Jake English from a cruel fate, being nothing more than a pawn, forced to have intercourse with a brain-washed friend. She suggested a powerful death, one to leave an impact, a heroic death, matching a just death on Jane's end. They would both go god-tier. It was old news. Aranea laughed, crawling upon a book-case which did not possess any books. Swallowing, she found herself jumping into a window seal. The web-comic character could definitely get used to this. Suddenly, a smirk found itself upon the Cerulean' Troll's lips, as she relaxed in the sunlight. This was the perfect spot, a perfect place to enjoy her day, or well, what was left of it, before it turned into chaos. Aranea closed her eyes and allowed herself to drift off, mumbling things in her sleep as she tossed and turned. Evidently, she was more exhausted than she believed. It was then that something - or someone startled her, awaking her. Blinking slightly, she ran a hand through her medium length black locks, pushing her glasses into place. "Happy Sunday," she offered, "I trust that you are enjoying your day? I was, until I was rudely awakened."

PM
^
Lalli Hotakainen
 Posted: Jun 13 2017, 07:28 PM
Webs
by: Brock
Don't mind him. He's never very good company.

Lalli & Aranea

I love that these two share a computer. That makes it much easier for them to interact.

Lalli may not trust her, to be honest. Not only is he a loner who rarely speaks (even to his cousins), but there are monsters in his world. He's immune to the sickness they can spread, but his cousin isn't. And although Aranea looks nothing like these monsters, she doesn't look like a normal human. So Lalli is disinclined to interact with her for both of those reason. Additionally, he doesn't speak English, only Finnish, which will make interactions with him more difficult.

That said, I like to see him squirm. And he has magic, so that's always fun. Their best bet is to meet near the computer, I think, maybe before or after one/both of them explored.

Stanton & Aranea

Sorry if I read it and forgot, but does Aranea manipulate just through words and her intellect? Or does she have an actual ability like Stanton's, where she can enter people's minds, speak directly into their thoughts, and move/erase memories and so on? Also, Stanton may be smarter than Aranea (I suppose, after 800+ years of life), but I might not be. ^^" So bear with me. I'll do my best to make him appear intelligent, but if he doesn't, that's probably my fault and not his.

Meeting in the library is as good a way to start with these two as any. Because their gangs are allies, Stanton won't do anything to harm her or mess with her, really. He's not going to risk it right now. He'll definitely be sizing her up, though, in case for some reason she's spying or what have you.

Currenly, his book is on display in this month's mini-event, so if you want to, we can do a thread there, if she goes exploring around the display or so on. Otherwise we can do a regular "happen upon each other while exploring" thread.

Soda & Aranea

When I saw that you love The Outsiders, I couldn't contain a squeal! But I won't spam the plotter with that right now.

Ahh, the heartbreak. Maybe it's the same with Aranea, but Soda is put through that misery every time his book is read. He always thinks he can handle it better the next time around, but once that letter scene towards the end happens, he can't cope anymore. He's seriously damaged from that relationship, in more ways than I'll type here. It would be interesting for him to talk to someone else who has been through the same thing because none of his friends and family have experienced it.

Now, how they would get to the point of sharing that information is difficult to figure out. He'd have to trust her really well. Being a Sketch, he's not keen to trust her completely, but he's also curious about other genres and other realities, so that's something he would talk about with her. Of course, he'd keep the important information about himself and his book private for many, many interactions, but it's a launching point at least.

Talking about reenacting their stories is another way they can get to know each other. I've never explored Soda's feelings on the matter, so it'd be interesting for me as well as for them. I'm up for this, too. If one of these jumps out at you as a great thread, you're welcome to go ahead and toss up a post for it, or if you like another idea, let me know. I adore Soda and want to put him in all the threads. Haha!

PM
^
Lalli Hotakainen
 Posted: Jun 13 2017, 08:32 PM
Webs
Don't mind him. He's never very good company.

Lalli & Aranea

Being in the same gang is about the only thing that makes Lalli trust her even remotely. He's not good at social interactions and will probably try to end any conversation before it begins, but we'll see what happens when we actually write it.

Stanton & Aranea

Then a mini-event thread it is! Stanton will be protective of his book, of course, so there may be more suspicion from him in this thread than if she wandered his genre. But he's immortal and powerful, so he's not too concerned about harm coming to himself, only to Serena or to their book.

Soda & Aranea

Soda can be anywhere. He's curious (though not foolish when exploring other genres), and he goes on missions for his gang now and again. He doesn't tend to go on missions to the computer area, but he'd explore it. Basically anywhere is fine. I can think of a reason for him to be there.
PM
^
Stanton
 Posted: Jun 17 2017, 11:00 AM
Mods
There won't be any pain. Only an eternity together. Come back to me.

Stanton & Aranea

I forgot that Stanton's book isn't on the display table, but the first part of his series is. No matter, though. He's there enough that it still works out. So here you go.

Link to the thread

PM
^

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

Affiliates
Resource Sites, Listings, & Non-RPs

RPG-D
Shadowplay
RPG Initiative Distant Fantasies
Anthology