Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

Nothin' Like a Party!, Open
Sodapop Curtis
 Posted: Mar 11 2017, 08:25 AM
Pens
by: Brock
Soda never touches a drop—he doesn‘t have to. He gets drunk on just plain living. And he understands everybody.

Soda didn't care what anyone else in his book thought about the annual masquerade. They could call it lame, something that only losers would attend. Other Greasers could call Soda a traitor, saying that he was hanging out at a Soc event. The Socs could make fun of a Greasers "outside his territory". None of that mattered to Soda. A party was a party, and dancing was dancing--even if it wasn't the type of dancing he was used to doing.

Sodapop essed as nicely as he could without feeling like he wasn't himself. The pair of black dress pants and the black dress shoes he hadn't worn since his parents died, except to special events like the masquerade. His black buttoned shirt Soda actually wore buttoned most of the way up for once in his life, though he had the sleeves rolled back near his elbows. As he wasn't an artsy individual, he'd enlisted Pony's help to make a simple mask. He kept saying next year he'd get Pony to create something more elaborate, but that hadn't happened yet.

The music and dancing had begun by the time Soda got there. He swayed this way and that as he walked straight for the food. He had skipped dinner so he would have enough room for all the goodies at the masquerade. However, Soda was careful about what he took to eat because, even if the Anecdotes and Unaffiliateds provided a lot of the food, they didn't provide all of it. That said, Unaffiliateds with magic usually cast protective spells around the food they and the Anecdotes brought, so Soda felt safe eating it.

A few small treats in hand and one on it's way to his mouth, Soda found a spot to stand and watch the dancers.
PM
^
Sebastian Michaelis
 Posted: Mar 12 2017, 09:45 AM
Creature
by: Luna
The hungrier one is, the more satisfying one's dinner.

Sebastian's outfit

Sebastian's mask

Unlike last year's masquerade, Sebastian was wearing an outfit that was not entirely him. He was not one for purple, so the only thing that was purple was the mask that covered most of the right side of his face and complemented his Phantom of the Opera-style outfit quite nicely. Some of the other people there had more plain outfits and mask. The demon passed one such person, who was standing nearby with some food, as he walked in. Sebastian glanced at the boy briefly before heading to the food table himself.
PM
^
Sodapop Curtis
 Posted: Mar 17 2017, 06:02 PM
Pens
Soda never touches a drop—he doesn‘t have to. He gets drunk on just plain living. And he understands everybody.

Soda's eyes caught the momentary gaze of a Sketch. As he sometimes did, Soda wondered what it was like to be a comic book character in the library. For the most part, it was hard to tell the book characters apart. Who was fantasy? Who was thriller? But the Sketches stood out and were easy targets for people like Soda's gang who wanted the Sketches removed from the library altogether.

The thought came and went just as fast as the Sketch's glance did. Then it was out of Soda's mind, replaced by music and a bite of something chocolate. Mmm, chocolate. Much to the dismay of some of Soda's fellow fiction characters, the masquerade boasted music from all styles and regions, including tunes from fantasy worlds. Soda couldn't keep a grin off his face or the tapping away from his foot. He needed to find a dance partner and soon. With a soft but sudden chuckle, he decided to ask Steve for a dance at some point that night.
PM
^
Sebastian Michaelis
 Posted: Mar 18 2017, 06:35 AM
Creature

Clearly the boy had noticed Sebastian as well, as their gaze briefly met his. However, he did not think much of it as the other character was distracted by their food and he himself was almost at where the food was set up. Although the demon did not need normal food, he enjoyed the taste of it. Sebastian helped himself to a couple of pastries and some lemonade. He hoped the lemonade didn't have MSG in it as he didn't want heartburn.
PM
^
Sodapop Curtis
 Posted: Mar 18 2017, 08:29 PM
Pens

While Soda scanned the crowd for a dance partner, the music changed to one of those old-timey, fancy styles that Soda could never keep straight. A waltz? Some sort of ballroom-y kind of dance that was suited for lords and ladies not for Greasers like him. Though, admittedly, dancing new dances like that was better than not dancing at all, right? It could be like acting, like playing around as being someone else for a few minutes.

"I wonder if Sand--" Soda stopped his thoughts as he realized he had pictured Cherry but, out of habit, had thought the wrong name. "I wonder if Cherry knows how to do those dances. Maybe she could teach me." His eyes searched the crowd for her.

Two fairy-sized characters flew by Soda's head so quickly and so closely that he took a startled step backward. They giggled in lilting, unearthly tones not found in Soda's world. They swooped around again, circling his head a few times as well as the heads of men and women nearby. Were they picking on Soda (and the others?) because they knew Soda was an Anecdote? Or just because they were teasing little fairies?

In an effort to keep away from them, Soda swatted his hand and moved back more. With another laugh, the fairies flew off. Soda stopped walking and realized that one more step would have pushed him into the Sketch he had seen before.

"Sorry," he apologized with his notorious grin. "Almost ran into ya."

Soda didn't have anything against the Sketches on an individual level or even, really, as a whole. He just didn't understand what they were doing in a library. Oh, he had heard all the arguments by now, but at the end of the day, comics belonged in comic book stores, not among the shelves where actual books lived. The books were far bigger and needed more room, and the comic books took up that space. Wouldn't they get more readership from their fans who frequented the comic book stores? Or what if they had their own comic book libraries? Soda was sure the Sketches were fun and their stories were interesting, but, to Soda, they looked out of place in a library.
PM
^
Sebastian Michaelis
 Posted: Mar 19 2017, 06:53 AM
Creature

Sebastian watched the dancers as he enjoyed his pastries and lemonade. However, someone speaking to him brought him out of his reverie. "That is quite alright," the demon replied, turning to face the boy he had seen earlier. "Both of us are uninjured." Sebastian's polite English accent was a stark contrast to the boy's American one.
PM
^
Sodapop Curtis
 Posted: Mar 22 2017, 10:14 AM
Pens

Even after fifteen years, it never failed to surprise him when a character spoke in another non-American accent. Soda hadn't expected this Sketch to speak with an English accent at all. Nothing was wrong with that, of course, but it caught him off-guard. In Soda's imagination, this man fit in with the whole idea of a masquerade much better than Soda ever could. Didn't English people have balls all the time?

"Good," he grinned, his smile as charming as ever. It usually got him what he wanted, so his friends and family liked to tease him by asking if he was the snake charmer or the snake. Soda would only grin wider, and his eyes would dance, silently saying "Who knows?" Ultimately, of course, Soda was rarely snake-like.

"Can't start off a dance by injurin' anybody." His eyes laughed, and a chuckle slid past his lips.
PM
^
Sebastian Michaelis
 Posted: Mar 23 2017, 05:53 AM
Creature

Sebastian nodded at the boy's words. He found the fellow's chipper demeanour rather intriguing. The demon rarely encountered such people. "Of course. However, I am rather durable." Sebastian could take much more of a beating than a normal human.
PM
^
Sodapop Curtis
 Posted: Mar 24 2017, 07:33 AM
Pens

Soda laughed and then nodded at the Sketch's words. Simply being at the party had livened up his already animated spirits. "Yeah, I guess we all gotta be durable 'round here."

For a moment, his thoughts flashed to Johnny. The poor kid had locked himself away in their book and refused to leave it ever again. Johnny was only durable in the sense that he couldn't escape his fear yet somehow hadn't completely lost his marbles yet. Otherwise he was as fragile as they came. Soda might never forgive the characters who had frightened him so, and he might never forgive the Socs for turning Johnny into a jumpier guy than he already was, but he certainly would never forgive Johnny's parents for setting him on edge to begin with.

Soda didn't allow the thoughts to linger. They hadn't left Johnny alone tonight. He had some of their protection and would be fine. Soda could enjoy the party without worry on that account.

"So, I got a question for ya," he said to the Sketch. He kept his tone light and casual. He'd asked this to other sketches over the years, but lately there were more and more on the shelves. There still weren't enough to compete with the novels, but Soda wondered if, at some point in the future, the library would be half normal library and half comic book library.

"How come you guys don't have your own library? It's just that, in my world, comics are at the comic book stores, not in a library." They weren't considered literature. "How come you're in the library here? Comics ain't books, otherwise they'd be called books, wouldn't they?" Again, Soda kept his tone light, but he knew his words could be provoking. Sketches could be particularly sensitive about the "not literature" subject.
PM
^
Sebastian Michaelis
 Posted: Mar 24 2017, 11:04 AM
Creature

Sebastian nodded in agreement. "Indeed." However, the boy's following questions and remark caused him to tense slightly. "Because this is where we belong. The term you are searching for is graphic novel." The demon fixed his red eyes on the boy. "As I have stated already, we are graphic novels, with the exception of the web-comics."
PM
^
Sodapop Curtis
 Posted: Mar 27 2017, 08:32 AM
Pens

At the term "graphic novels", Soda nodded in recognition. "Yeah, I've heard that term for you guys before. 'Graphic novels'. When I first heard it and for a long time after, all it made me think of was a novel with some pictures here and there, like at the start of a chapter 'er on the back of a page 'er somethin'. Just scattered drawin's."

Soda shifted in his stance, leaning more on one foot that the other now. "I guess I never understood why comics needed another name. You're all the same sorta stuff--pictures and words--only some'a ya are longer, and your stories are about different stuff."

Thinking that the Sketch might take offense, Soda added, "Personally, I ain't even much of a reader. Comics are better for me if I'm gonna sit and read somethin'. But mostly I like to be out doin' things, so..." Soda trailed off and shrugged.

"I dunno. I don't guess I'll ever figure out why the Sketches don't have their own library. Not sayin' it's your fault or nothin', since we can't really control what people in this world do. I just think it's a natural next step, right? Like, a bookstore where you buy books and a library where you get 'em for free; and then a comic book store where you buy comics and a comic book library where you got all comics. Then there'd be more room for everybody on the shelves here and for you guys there."

Another shrug came as a slower song played. When would they play another fast song? Oh well. At least Soda could talk to someone while he waited.

"I guess that'd start your own comic wars, huh? Though it ain't like you're not already in a war here, being the only comics in a place full'a books."
PM
^
Sebastian Michaelis
 Posted: Mar 28 2017, 09:35 AM
Creature

Sebastian looked thoughtful at the boy's remark regarding graphic novels. "Well, you were partially correct." He shook his head in disagreement with the following comments. "Quite the contrary. There are differences between the two."

The demon nodded in response. "That's quite understandable. My master is similar in that regard." Sebastian frowned as the boy continued to talk. "Perhaps it is unnecessary. I wouldn't say that. We are still books. Our shelves are not that crowded."

He looked thoughtful once again. "That would be a possibility. We are still classed as books, with the web-comics being an exception."
PM
^
Sodapop Curtis
 Posted: Mar 29 2017, 01:39 PM
Pens

The Sketch made his own good points, and Soda shrugged. His sideways tilt of his head implied his undecided opinion on the matter. He wasn't feeling up to an argument or a long, drawn-out debate. Soda only wanted to dance.

To that end, he asked, "You do these kinds'a dances where you're from? England, right, from the sound'a your accent?"

Soda watched the dancers walk and twirl about in an elaborate dance Soda didn't know. As someone who liked to be up and moving, and particularly as someone who liked dancing, Soda could appreciate many kinds of dances, even if, personally, he wouldn't care for them. Or, more specifically, he wouldn't care for them if he had other options, as he knew would soon have at the masquerade. If forced to sit or do a ballroom dance, Soda would take the dance just about every time.
PM
^
Sebastian Michaelis
 Posted: Mar 30 2017, 06:07 AM
Creature

Sebastian nodded at the boy's questions. He had been to a good many dances with Ciel. "Yes, it is custom for nobility after all. Yes, I am." The demon was glad the young man had changed the subject.
PM
^

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
Add Reply
New Poll

Affiliates
Resource Sites, Listings, & Non-RPs

RPG-D
Shadowplay
RPG Initiative Distant Fantasies
Anthology