Add Reply
New Poll

Please, Don't Make Me, Tag: Darry, Dally
Johnny Cade
 Posted: Jan 24 2017, 06:15 PM
Fiction
by: Brock
If you can picture a little dark puppy that had been kicked too many times and is lost in a crowd of strangers, you'll have Johnny.

Johnnycake

The new year had come and gone in Stonewood, but few of Johnny's fears had gone with it. If anything, another fear had cropped up. Last year around this time, his friends had convinced him to summon all his courage and leave their book for just five minutes.

He's had two minutes left on the clock when the Horseman appeared.

Now Johnny had spent all of an entire year within their book, and though he missed The Kids, he planned to keep himself well within covers. He worried, however, that his friends had different plans for him. It wasn't safe anywhere anymore, as that one night in September had proven. His friends swore up and down that the reason Johnny had felt so hopeless was because of the Horseman or Shadow Thing, or one of their cohorts. Johnny hadn't seen the Horseman, and Shadow Thing was just a shadow, wasn't he? Johnny hadn't seen it, either, but perhaps it had been there. If so, then his book wasn't a safe hideout anymore.

That meant Darry and them would try and convince Johnny to be brave once again and give the library another go. With each day that passed, Johnny prayed they wouldn't ask him. Although he felt more at ease as time went by that they wouldn't ask such a crazy thing of him, he also felt more fearful. That, at any moment, they would urge him out of covers.

24 January 2017 - Darry
PM
^
Darrel Curtis
 Posted: Jan 25 2017, 08:29 AM
Fiction
by: sophie
It's tough everywhere.

It's tough all around.

Oh, how Darry loved the holidays. He didn't like being cold so much as just the festivity-ness of the season. The lights, the trees, the parties. Everyone was so happy during that time. It was unspoken. You had to be happy during the holidays. It started at Thanksgiving and ended after New Year's Day. It was given. You were happy.

Except Johnny.

He stayed the way that Darry had found him. It seemed Stanton really got a hold of the kid this time. It really bothered Darry, so he'd tried several different ways to get Johnny out and about. It seemed he really didn't want to. It seemed, he really didn't want to hang around with them. Darry wondered what the guy had made Johnny think. At the same time, he didn't want to know.

THe more Darry knew about this Stanton guy, which wasn't much to be honest, the more he wanted to find him. But if he had this kind of control over Johnny, he couldn't let him get that kind of control over him. The whol house would fall apart. The family that was his boys...they'd get lost not knowing what to do. Dally would be in charge and...that was good for nobody.

"Johnny!" Darry called. Johnny had stayed at the house, sleeping on the couch. "Eggs or pancakes?....or both? It's up to you, kiddo!" he said, letting Johnny know he's deciding what breakfast was that particular Saturday morning

PMEmail
^
Johnny Cade
 Posted: Jan 25 2017, 10:24 AM
Fiction
If you can picture a little dark puppy that had been kicked too many times and is lost in a crowd of strangers, you'll have Johnny.

Johnnycake

Darry's voice grabbed Johnny's attention, and he turned from staring out the window. Eggs or pancakes? They both sounded good, but... eggs were easier, weren't they? Yeah, that seemed right. Darry always let Johnny stay over whenever he needed to, and he sometimes let him pick out the food as well. Johnny couldn't repay that by asking too much of Darry. He had never wanted to impose on them, but after that awful September night, Johnny still found his thoughts drifting now and then to negative beliefs.

At that very moment, he knew that asking for pancakes would be another sin on Johnny's record. Another reason for Darry to hate him and, eventually, be done with him.

"Stop that," he tried to reason with himself. "That's what Shadow Thing or whoever it was made you think. Remember?"

Even so, ridding himself of the thoughts and feelings had taken a long time, and he still wasn't fully recovered.

"Eggs are fine." At the last moment, he remembered that a bit of politeness might soften the negative thoughts Darry was bound to be having of him, so he added, "Thanks." Then he went back to looking out the window.

24 January 2017 - Darry
PM
^
Darrel Curtis
 Posted: Jan 26 2017, 10:41 AM
Fiction
It's tough everywhere.

It's tough all around.

Darry watched, no he stared, at Johnny. Looking out the window like the world was coming to an end. Maybe it was, for him. There was more going on in JOhnny's head than any of them knew, and it bothered the hell out of Darry. The boy turned, looked at him. Was he really contemplating what he wanted to eat? THat intensely? Poor kid. He needed a vacation. A safe vacation.

"Eggs. Great idea. I'll make some toast to go with it. We have some apples we can cut up." Darry nodded. Dally was working that morning, and he thought maybe Johnny needed a night out with the guy. The two were pretty good together. Johnny was the thing in the world Dally loved. Maybe that was it. Maybe Darry could get the two to go to a show or something.

"Hey, can you come help me? I could use an extra pair of hands," he called. Pony was in the shower and Soda was off with Dally at work. Two-Bit might show up for breakfast, but he was usually pretty unreliable about when he'd show up. "Can you cut up those apples?" he asked, pointing so several green apples Darry had put on the counter. He handed Johnny a knife. "Let's not use our pocket knives this time. Use a good ol' kitchen knife," he smiled, trying desperately to make converstaion with the kid. HIs heart was heavy for Johnny...it made him sad.

PMEmail
^
Johnny Cade
 Posted: Jan 26 2017, 01:56 PM
Fiction

Johnnycake

Darry rattled off other foods to make with the eggs, and Johnny began worrying. He hadn't known that "eggs" included toast and apples, too! That sounded like more work than pancakes would have been. Had Johnny made a mistake?

"Maybe he was gonna make 'em with pancakes, too," some rational voice in his head pointed out, but to little avail.

Johnny refocused his attention when Darry asked for his help. Great. Johnny had chosen something that required more than one cook! He could never say no to the request, of course. He had chosen the meal and, at any rate, he was a guest. A perpetual guest, always staying over on their couch and eating all their food. Helping was the least he could do.

"And now you've made him ask you," came a crueler thought. "You should have offered right away. Now he's annoyed with you."

Quiet as ever, Johnny pulled himself up from the couch and entered the kitchen. When asked to cut the apples, his hand automatically reached for the small knife in his back pocket. But he had hardly wrapped his hand around the pocket knife when Darry handed him a kitchen knife.

"You weren't even gonna do it right," he thought to himself. Was his internal voice more annoyed or disappointed with him?

Johnny nodded and took the kitchen knife. Very carefully, he tried slicing the apples. He wasn't used to using such a large knife, so he had a rough start.

24 January 2017 - Darry
PM
^
Darrel Curtis
 Posted: Feb 18 2017, 11:18 AM
Fiction
It's tough everywhere.

It's tough all around.

Darry was more than concerned. Ever since that encounter, the one where Darry saved Johnny's ass...Johnny just hadn't been the same. On top of that, Darry had no idea how to help Johnny, if at all. There a hundred different things Darry could do, but they'd do no good if Johnny wasn't reciprocating appropriately. It's like when someone dies, and everyone asks those were closest to the deceased how they were doing. Either they were grieving appropriately, or they weren't. And Johnny wasn't.

Darry had to smile to himself when Johnny reached for his knife. It was a bad habit they all had, but Dally specifically. Of course, Dally's bad habit would rub off on Johnny. Again, they all used their pocket knives for all kinds of random household things, and cooking wasn't excluded. "They other day I caught Ponyboy using his knife at the kitchen table during dinner. I snatched that thing so fast," Darry recalled, chuckling at the current memory.

Johnny was clearly broken, and it bothered him. He let the kid cut the apples as he finished cooking the breakfast. Once it was all done, it was like all the guys knew it. Wherever they were, they came bounding into the house, or down the hall, or in from the back. It was full of chatter and laughter, except Johnny. Dally was nowhere to be seen, until they all sat down.

Everyone sat at the regular places, some fit at the table, others sat at the corners, their plate in their lap. Dally came in late, a cigarette in his mouth and smelling like he just showered. "I'm here, I better have food left for me," he said, smiling and putting the cigarette out as Darry glared at him. Darry gave him a plate of food and nodded toward Johnny, indicating that maybe Dally better take over with the kid.

PMEmail
^
Dallas Winston
 Posted: Feb 18 2017, 12:26 PM
Pen
by: Sophie
God, I didn't know you had this problem with, with yelling in my face.

Let's Go, Buddyboy

Dally was not on time. He never was. He didn't care to be. But he did know that Darry, as much as Dally wante dto be, was the one in charge. He knew full well if he was too late for breakfast, Darry would clean up and there wouldn't be anything left for Dally. Dally wouldn't blame anyone if that happened, because it would be his own damn fault, but it would still suck to not have any thing to eat. But...Dallas was late.

Dally was at the garage. HE'd opened it early, gotten there before the sun was up. He had a cup of coffe in his hand and a car he was working on. As he was under that car, he was thinking. He hated to think too much because it always made him feel bad. THere were too many things to think about! And they were all serious things. They were all thiings that needed serious attention, Johnny included.

It was no secret that Johnny was falling away. He was falling away faster than any of them could catch and Dally didn't now any better than anyone else what to do. So he'd arranged a fishing trip. Hell, if Dally was an expert fisher, but it would get them away, and they would be together. Two buddies, two pals, two brothers.

Dallas closed up the garage for the boys later, after breakfast, and headed to Darry's. He could smell the food wafting to him as he hit the chain link fence. He hopped over it, cigarette in his mouth, and headed inside. It was loud and chattery, and Dally love it. He loved every second of it. HIs life as a kid was terrible with no real family time. This, the Curtis house, was his refuge. Alwas had been.

Darry gave him a dirty look, and he quickly put his cigarette out in the sink and threw it away. Then he grabbed the plate Darry handed him. "Johnny, I have a good weekend planned for us. We're going fishing, camping even. I know you really haven't done that, so I think it'll be good for you. Just the two of us. What do you say, buddyboy?"

PMEmail
^
Johnny Cade
 Posted: Feb 18 2017, 01:10 PM
Fiction

Johnnycake

At Darry's short tale about Pony and the knife, Johnny's lips pulled up into a faint smile. It just went to show what being raised on the East Side did to a kid. Pony and Johnny were the last people in their neighborhood who wanted to hurt anyone, but they both had knives and used them for everyday activities without a second thought. As far as Johnny knew, the Socs and the middle-class kids didn't do that.

"He pulled it out in biology class once, he said," Johnny replied in a voice low enough it could almost be a mumble. A hint of fondness found its way into his tone. Pony was smart, but he didn't think things like that through. He could have gotten into some serious trouble. He was lucky he got off with just feeling ashamed and embarrassed in front of the "nice" kids that filled all his "smart kid" classes.

Soon enough, dinner was ready, and the house went from pleasantly quiet to pleasantly chaotic. They were all used to the noise and activity by this point, and it was a far cry from the noise and activity that went on in Johnny's house. Even so, it was a bit too much for Johnny that morning, so he sat a bit away with his food.

When he looked up from a bite to eat, Dally was beside him, grinning and talking about some sort of weekend trip. After swallowing his food, Johnny asked, "Fishin'? Campin'? Don't you hate that sorta stuff, Dal?"

Johnny couldn't deny, though, that the idea of just him and Dally hanging out was exciting. He knew he was being slow at getting better and that it worried his friends, but he really was trying, even if some days it didn't seem like it even to him. And he'd sure love to get out of town for a bit. The Horseman and Shadow Thing wouldn't think to look for him in the country.

24 January 2017 - Darry & Dally
PM
^
Dallas Winston
 Posted: Feb 18 2017, 02:07 PM
Pen

Let's Go, Buddyboy

Dally started in on his food. Even if the food, or rather, Darry's cooking, wasn't always perfect, it was home cooked and he was with his family. So it tasted like gourmet, as far as he was concerned. He dug in quickly, his mouth always full. Darry looked at Pony. "Do you really take your knife out in biology?" he asked. Pony looked up, then at several of the other guys at the table. Dally laughed. "Ha! You gotta use somethin' to cut them frogs up in your smart kid class, right?" he said loudly, tousling POny's hair. Darry told Pony not to do that again, and Pony assured it wasn't going to. The embarrassment was enough that day.

Johnny spoke up beside Dally, nice a quiet. He looked at the kid, and nodded, then shrugged a shoulder. "It depends on who I'm with." he said, shruggin a shoulder again. "And I'll be with you! So it'll be a good ol' time. We'll fish, camp, set up a tent, even. Bring some pork n beans!" he said, laughing as he put a big mouthful of food in his mouth. "You know you wanna go, kiddo!" he said, pointing to Johnny's food. Eat."

PMEmail
^
Johnny Cade
 Posted: Feb 18 2017, 02:26 PM
Fiction

Johnnycake

Johnny caught Pony's gaze for all of three seconds. In those three seconds, he communicated in the silent way they did that he had mentioned it and was sorry if it got Pony into any trouble. The look Johnny read back was told him it was alright.

Dally told him to eat. After a small nod, Johnny looked down at his food and took another bite. His thoughts left Ponyboy and the biology class and returned to his upcoming weekend plans. With Dally. Just the two of them. His eyes sparkled with the idea. Even if they couldn't set up a tent to save their lives and they caught no fish and it rained every single second, Johnny wouldn't care. As long as Dally was there and was happy, that was all Johnny needed.

"As long as we don't eat no bologna," he answered back with a faint grin. Look! Almost a joke! What had Johnny been so worried about earlier, thinking that the boys didn't like him? That had been another moment of weakness--moments which were happening less and less frequently as the days passed. Pony had forgiven him for the knife story, and Dally was planning a country camping getaway for just them.

"Even if they like you still, doesn't mean that the others don't just tolerate you for Pony's sake or so Dally doesn't pitch a fit."

The stray thought tempered Johnny's spirits, and the sparkle in his eyes faded. In an effort to mask this, Johnny ate another bite of food.

PM
^
Dallas Winston
 Posted: Feb 18 2017, 02:40 PM
Pen

We're Campin'!

Dally nodded approval as Johnny started eating. It was like the kid was there, but not all the way. LIke an old person with dementia. They were there, but there were only moments when it was really that person. Dally, along with several of the others, looked at Johnny when he made his joke. After a moment, they all chuckled and Dally shook his head, and patted JOhnny's shoulder. "I promise, no bologna." he said, sitll laughing as he finished his plate of food.

Dally got up and put his empty plate in the sink. "Well...why don't we just head out now, huh? My truck is loaded with the stuff, because I had no idea when we were gonna leave and I couldn't sleep last night anyway. Go pack your stuff, kid." he said, thumbing toward the hallway. He figured he had enough stuff at Darry's place to make a bag for a weekend. "I need another smoke," he said, digging into his back pocket and heading outside. "Meet me out here, alright?" he called, lighting his cigarette as he headed outside.

PMEmail
^
Johnny Cade
 Posted: Feb 18 2017, 03:01 PM
Fiction

Johnnycake

It was rare that Johnny spoke let alone told jokes, and that was even more true over the last year, where terror claimed far more of his life than it used to. He didn't expect to make anyone laugh with his jokes let alone Dally. But he had. Just then, Johnny had made Dally laugh. At a crossroads between embarrassed, stunned, and pleased with himself, Johnny's lips morphed into a small smile, and he ate more food.

Johnny ate slower than Dally, but when Dally told him to pack his stuff, Johnny stopped eating and looked up at him. Now? They were leaving that night? But the weekend wasn't for days. Were...? Was he going to spend days with Dally?! What about Dally's work?

"Dumb question, Johnny," he reminded himself. "Dally and work? Yeah, right. He'll skip any chance he gets. Though, it is Darry's place..." It didn't occur to Johnny that Darry might let it slide this one time because of how messed up Johnny had been lately.

Nodding in understanding, Johnny set his unfinished plate of food in the kitchen and gathered up what little he had around the Curtis' house. When he finally had a decently filled bag slung over his shoulder, he headed outside. He turned small, awkward smiles to the others as they told him to have fun. As much as Johnny wanted this trip, he was still nervous about it. Dally and the countryside? It was too odd.

"I guess I'm ready, Dally," he said in his typical soft-spoken manner. A hint of his nervousness poked its way through, and he asked one more time, "You sure you wanna do this? I don't mind if we stay around town."

PM
^

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

Affiliates
Resource Sites, Listings, & Non-RPs

RPG-D
Shadowplay
RPG Initiative Distant Fantasies
Anthology